. — The first jail at Kingston had its cells in the lower part of the building, and the upper part was devoted to the use of the jailor. It was all wood above the cells which were constructed of solid masonry. After a new jail was built of wood on the opposite side of the road, this first building was used by Cyrus French as a hat factory. It now forms the west end of the residence of Mrs. Wm. W. French. The second jail has in its turn given way to the present building on tlie site of No. 2, so the present building is the tliird jail tliat has been erected on Kingston Hill.
SOURCE: Page(s): 6; The Narragansett, Volume 1. July, 1882 Number 1